Who says pizza can't be healthy? Or low in carbohydrates?!
Well ladies and gentlemen, this one is gluten free, low in refined carbohydrates and made from cauliflower!??
Cauliflower is part of the cruciferous vegetable family, which so fantastic to the body due to their role in detoxification. They work by strengthening phase 1 and phase 2 detox pathway. Phase 1 pathway utilises enzymes stored in hepatocytes (liver cells) to covert a chemical to a less harmful one with help from vitamin C and E (due to their antioxidant activity). Phase 2 pathway uses the hepatocytes and a molecule (e.g. Sulphur) to make the chemical even less harmful. From here, the chemical will then be excreted from the body.
Other than cauliflowers excellent detoxification action, it also has a roles as an antioxidant, an anti-inflammatory, digestion support and cardiovascular.
For your pizza base, you need:
- ¼ head of cauliflower (chopped)
- 4-5 tbsp. almond meal
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray
- Add cauliflower to food processor and blend until it forms fine crumbs
- Add almond meal, garlic, salt and pepper and blend again
- Pour out the mixture in to cloth and squeeze as much water as you can.
- It should form a dough like texture
- Put mixture on the tray and pat out to a round (or square) pizza shape
- Bake until top of the pizza feels firm (keep an eye on it, so it does not burn)
- Add your choice of topping and put back in the oven
- Pull out when you are satisfied that your toppings have had enough time in the oven
- Serve with salad or colewslaw
** Please note: this pizza base is soft