Massaged kale salad
Kale - the newest superfood to hit the supermarket loaded with vitamins and minerals. Kale can provide you with high amounts of vitamins K, C, A and B6. High in minerals manganese, copper, calcium and potassium. Kale will also give you vitamins B1, B2, B3, B9 (folate) and E. Other minerals you can get from kale are iron, magnesium and phosphorus. Last but not least omega 3 and fiber.
Recently, I started reading about massaging kale! Huh?! Well Kale is a rough, bitter leaf and the massaging process changes it to a softer sweeter green.
The process also changes the colour to a bright green. You can feel the change in your hands as you massage the kale.
- Kale (any kind - I used curly)
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- Cut out stalks of kale so you are only left with the leaf and add to a bowl
- Add olive oil and salt
- Massage the kale for 3 minutes
- Rinse the kale under cold water to remove some of the excess oil and salt
- Add juice of one lemon to bowl
- Continue to massage for a further 2 minutes
- Squeeze any excess liquid and add to salad bowl
- Add your other salad ingredients - I used red sauerkraut, grated carrot, alfalfa and sprouted legumes