Zucchini – courgette – summer squash - whatever you like to call it. This vegetable is so versatile and high in yummy vitamins and nutrients essential to good health. Powerful in antioxidants, containing; alpha-carotene and beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-cryptoxanthin. Interestingly, unlike other foods such as carrots (which are orange) which contain these types of antioxidants zucchini is green. And an unlikely suspect to contain these sorts of ingredients. These antioxidant substances are higher in the skin.
Zucchini is high in minerals copper, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, calcium, iron, choline as well as a great source of fiber. They contain vitamins such as; vitamin C, B1, B2, B3, B6, folate and vitamin K. Furthermore, they also contain omega-3 and protein.
Your summer squash has health benefits such as; balancing blood sugars, reducing inflammation, anti-cancer properties due to the antioxidants and the seeds are anti-microbial.
These fritters can be used as a side dish or for a snack.
- 2 x Zucchinis
- 1 Carrot
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- ½ - 1 cup Almond meal
- 1 - 1½ eggs
- Your choice cooking oil
- Grind fennel seeds to a powder
- Crack open egg in a bowl and beat
- Grate courgettes and carrot and add to bowl
- Add almond meal and fennel and mix together
- Slowly add the egg and mix in
- The mixture should be sticky enough to hold together but not too wet (this is why you slowly add the egg - you may not need all of it)
- Add more almond meal if its too wet
- In frying pan add oil
- Add tablespoon dollops on to the pan
- Allow to fry for about 2 minutes before flipping over to cook the over side.
- Continue until all mixture is gone